Communications and promotion
SODES coordinates the marine industry awareness campaign, funded 50-50 by industry partners and Transports Québec. This campaign has been running since 2005 and is in its second phase. Begun in fall 2009, Phase 2 seeks to inform the public, via the media, about the advantages of marine transport. The Marine Industry Promotional Committee set up by Sodes coordinates the awareness campaign’s actions.
Various activities have marked the campaign’s recent years:
- Start-up of the LeSaint-Laurent.com website, which provides information about the St. Lawrence and marine transport,
- A TV and print media advertising campaign that ran on the main TV networks and in Québec’s main daily newspapers in 2007.
- Three editions of Le Courant maritime, produced in the context of Québec Marine Day, were sent to more than 2,100 political and economic leaders in Québec.
- A special 8-page booklet promoting the Québec marine industry was published in Le Soleil for Québec Marine Day 2009.
- Broadcast of TV show Bleu during summer 2011 (RDI network)... a series of ten episodes spotlighting the marine sector and its careers. Interviews conducted by Radio-Canada journalist Normand Latour. Bleu profiles available in the “Press room” section of the SODES website under Videos and reports (french).
- Publication (2012) of a marine industry brochure designed to give the public overall information about the marine industry.
Other activities scheduled for the coming months include:
- Presentation of "The St. Lawrence: Our Living River" conferences (developed by David Suzuki Foundation).
- The publication of Guide de découverte du Saint-Laurent, in partnership with Guides de voyage Ulysse, Québec Maritime and the Foundation David-Suzuki.
SODES also issues communications and forwards them on an ongoing basis:
- Monthly newsletter St. Lawrence EXPRESS forwarded to Québec’s provincial and federal elected representatives.
- Maritime Magazine forwarded to elected members of the Québec National Assembly.
- Press releases.
- Participation in public events related to the marine industry.