- 2018-06-11 - 2018-06-14
08:00 - 18:00
With the “crossovers” theme debated in Rotterdam in October 2016, AIVP, the worldwide network of port cities, showed that new bridges are being built between cities, ports, and their partners. To mark AIVP’s 30th anniversary, in Quebec in June 2018, you are invited to explore in greater depth the challenges and solutions adopted by successful port cities.
Port cities and human aspirations
Our societies and our environment are undergoing change at a pace and on a scale never before seen in human history. With over 80% of global trade and some nine billion tonnes of goods passing through them, port cities are set to be at the crossroads of traffic in goods, data and people for some time to come. The challenges facing those looking to shape the port cities of the future are considerable. To meet them, AIVP believes that it is increasingly vital to ensure that the strategies adopted take account of people’s aspirations. Human beings need to be restored to their rightful place as essential partners for city-port development, paving the way for the ideas and tools to enable controlled, harmonious growth.
Environmental challenges, the emergence of new skilled jobs, the diversification of activities, the rise of the blue economy, and City/Port governance, all demand more of our port cities: more collective intelligence, more respect for the planet, more flexibility, more innovation, more proximity, more transparency, more inclusiveness, more well-being…
Citizens are taking up full and active roles in the City-Port ecosystem and its daily life, as well helping to shape its future. They want to see a range of thematic areas allowing them to:
- Enjoy quality of life focused on the river and sea
- Adapt their skills constantly
- Live in a healthy environment that respects nature
- Experience and understand the port city
- Live in harmony with the port
- Contribute to the growth of the blue economy
- Co-construct City/Port decisions
- Enjoy smart mobility thanks to optimised City-Port traffic management
- Access new modes of consumption
- Benefit from the City/Port circular economy
- Protect themselves against environmental and social risks.